Codex Ivstianvs

Why, hello. Fancy seeing you here.

Emperor tropique du cancer toucan beak

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Book Review Madness

Check out this line-up at the NY Times online Book Review section. Do it, I'll wait...okay, back? ready? Good.
This is one of the first times I've clicked over (a subscription is well out of my price range) to the old NYTBR and wanted to read all the articles. Usually you get something interesting--a new translation of Karel Capek, Michiko Kakutani blasting some young turk for presumptuous writing, or a magesterial biography of someone obscure but interesting. But never such things all at once.
Today we get the "Outlaw Bible of American Literature" (which I highly recommend, with the usual caveats about the orthodox rebellion silliness called Jack Kerouac and his imitators); a John Brown bio, a new H.P. Lovecraft collection (HPL is my greatest guilty pleasure and my most glaring literary weakness, I can't say no to the guy no matter how much schlock), and excerpt and review of Kazuo Ishiguro's new book, "Never Let Me Go." ("Remains of the Day" was badass...well probably not badass, but I mean it was a really good read). For a book nerd/lit snobb of good standing, such as myself, I am in highfalutin' heaven.
And the dude at the cafe just put on the Arcade Fire, damn this is a good day. Let's all solemnly hope and furvently pray that I will not, in fact, be required to use my AK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home