Codex Ivstianvs

Why, hello. Fancy seeing you here.

Emperor tropique du cancer toucan beak

Saturday, April 23, 2005

RE: "The Unknown Masterpiece" and Picasso

Recently, in the process of a meditation on dead Frenchmen, I mentioned that Picasso made some etchings for an illustrated edition of Balzac's "The Unkown Masterpiece" (of course Pablo was a Spaniard and thus not within my purvue...as I have explained before, I have not the technical expertise to post the pictures of either Spaniards or the Welsh, I am dedicated to learning however). Well it turns out that one of the 99 extant copies of the artist's book containing only etchings is in the possession of the University of Minnesota. Not, it should be noted, the illustrated story, but just a bound copy of the illustrations. So to all those out there who attend the University of Minnesota I would say: "Bravo!" I would, but I will not, because we all know that Minnesota sucks even if you have a book I'd give my pinky toe to see.

Again, this is clearly the sort of thing that will be on my final exams and so it was totally worth it to try to hunt down a priceless 65-year-old book of which there are few copies extant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home