Codex Ivstianvs

Why, hello. Fancy seeing you here.

Emperor tropique du cancer toucan beak

Friday, October 14, 2005

Subtext layered upon metaphor

I'm watching Fahrenheit 451 on TCM, and I put down a book to do it. So I have abandoned reading as entertainment in order to watch a movie--which of course is one of the major commentaries that Fahrenheit 451 makes: the abandonment of reading for visual entertainment as a sign of the pliability and dumbing down of the populace. Bradbury's novel isn't just about censorship, but about the way that reading by the very act forces a critical examination of the text and thus developes critical skills. Visual entertainment is passive, we need not engage. Of course that's not entirely true, some visual entertainment requires engagement--just not, y'know, Fox News or anything Vin Diesel has ever done. But I think that manipulation and the encouragement of passive thinking is easier to successfully mantain through the TV than the page. After all, at the very least I can reread a line to make sense of it or determine that it is nonsensical, but television or a movie or a poster or photograph must be accepted as it passes--consumed whole and digested before too much deep inquiry is to take place.

So I'm watching the movie version of a book that takes a decidedly anti-movie stance and I stopped reading a perfectly good book to do it. Did I just want to watch a movie...or DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home