Codex Ivstianvs

Why, hello. Fancy seeing you here.

Emperor tropique du cancer toucan beak

Sunday, October 09, 2005

You know how to whistle don't you, Steve?

I just saw To Have and Have Not, and that's a great picture. I like to say "picture" like they did in 1944 because it makes feel all cool and Bogart-y. I'll never be as cool as Humphrey Bogart, but I'm comforted by the fact that nobody else ever will either. The dialogue is great, but when William Faulkner is co-writing a screen play based on a Hemingway novel then you can expect good dialogue. Also, Lauren Bacall is an actress and a half. She has this line with the piano player before she signs a song: "Don't play it sad, 'cause I don't feel that way." And he replies: "You don't look it, either." It's all snappy and good and better played than anything I've seen in a long time. Really since I saw The Long Goodbye also starring Bogart and Bacall. Man, I'd have liked to be there for one of their fights...that must of been a mean, drunken mess, but so well delivered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home