Codex Ivstianvs

Why, hello. Fancy seeing you here.

Emperor tropique du cancer toucan beak

Friday, July 07, 2006

The Incident at Indian River

This sort of thing cannot be tolerated.

A large Delaware school district promoted Christianity so aggressively that a Jewish family felt it necessary to move to Wilmington, two hours away, because they feared retaliation for filing a lawsuit. The religion (if any) of a second family in the lawsuit is not known, because they're suing as Jane and John Doe; they also fear retaliation. Both families are asking relief from "state-sponsored religion."

Apparently when one Jewish student addressed the school board he was told to remove his yamulke. Think about that. What would happen if I asked someone to removed a crucifix before they spoke to me? People would freak out. I admire that student for not throwing something heavy at the assembled school board.

I find this particularly odious as I myself am a Papist. I am a Catholic despite also being a liberal humanist (though, really, I find that the two are self-reinforcing). Then again, many of the best liberal humanists have been Roman Catholics, so that makes sense--I'm looking at you, Erasmus. There is no place in our country for this sort of bigotry especially from people who claim to worship a just God. The people of Indian River, Delaware should hang their heads in shame. Fucking hypocrites.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home